We moved to Philadelphia in December 2017, so we’ve been here just under 16 months. Here are the main differences between Philly and NYC:
- Restaurant food in the sub-$100 range (dinner for two) is lots better in Philly. And there’s a BYO culture here that means lots of restaurants are in that range.
- It’s way smaller. You can live in the suburbs and still be like 20 minutes from the middle of town.
- There are lots fewer international people in Philly.
- There are no good corner stores–bodegas or Korean grocers–in Philly. It’s not a thing. I mean there are probably some somewhere, but it’s not like there’s probably one near you.
- Obviously real estate is a lot cheaper in Philly.
- Obviously NYC is way cooler.
My wife likes to sleep with white noise, especially when we’re somewhere very quiet. We used to try always to have a fan running–they make the best sleeping sounds. But that’s not always practical. So we switched to using Youtube, but it tends to flake out when you try to play something for hours (or your wifi will drop off, or whatever).
Now I just make noise snippets in Audacity and play them on repeat in any music player. The amazing thing is that there are people out there charging money for this. Here are some for free:
I’m releasing these to the public domain, so you can do anything you want with them.
The brown noise one seems best. I may get ambitious one day and try to take the tone of the pink noise down. I’ll post it here if I do and it works out.
By the way, doing this in Audacity is easy. There are Youtube videos on it, or just go to the “Generate” menu and pick “Noise.”
The problem with the idea of Rosie from the Jetsons,